Club Hi Octane

Club Hi Octane
Go Back   Club Hi Octane > Specialty > Power Adder Tech
Welcome to the Club Hi Octane.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
User Name
Password

Old 09-15-2010, 10:32 AM
EFI Tuner and Board Sponsor

C5 Z06: Bolt-ons (Dyno Tune on HP Tuners)

This Corvette belongs to Kyle of Spartanburg. After installing new headers and exhaust, he brought it in for a tune on HP Tuners. He wanted to find some more power but his main goals were drive-ability. On the stock tune, it was running so lean at idle and partial throttle that the wideband wouldn't even register which is actually a symptom not that uncommon from un-tuned hi flow header/exhaust setups. That's something that was addressed in the tune as well.

Kyles new LG Motorsports headers had slip on, high flow Catilytic Converters, but Kyle decided that those would be better replaced with straight 3" pipes. In an effort to keep the exhaust serviceable, we flared 2 sections of 3" pipe to fit into the headers, using the supplied clamps. This will make reinstalling the cats a simple task later down the road, if it's ever needed.

After the exhaust mods were finished, Kyles Corvette went on the rollers.

Here is the setup:

2004 Corvette Z06
LS6 / T56

Vararam VR-1B Intake
LG Motorsports Long Tube Headers
Cat Delete Pipes
3" Exhaust

Tuned on HP Tuners

Click here for the Video!
ECU chipping services & one stop dyno tuning for: SCT, DiabloSport, HP Tuners, Tweecer, Big Stuff, Map-ECU,TurboEdit, C.A.T.S, Megasquirt, Microtech, Crome Gold, S300, K-Pro, Flashpro, AEM EMS, AEM F/IC, Haltech, Motec, PowerFC L & D-Jetro, Nistune, Utec, Cobb AccessPORT, DSM Link, CPE Standback, SAFC, VAFC, NEO

Hubert Murias
Hubert@tdcauto.com

Last edited by Spent; 09-15-2010 at 10:37 AM.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:04 PM
a legend

Why was the first run cut off so soon?
Old 09-15-2010, 03:11 PM
Totally Worthless User

Quote:
Originally Posted by comptaclone View Post
Why was the first run cut off so soon?
You beat me to it.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:31 PM
a legend

Possibly to show power differences in the tune lol? That's my guess, looks liKe it would have made 350ish HP if it would have carried out
Old 09-15-2010, 06:06 PM
Budget Rental Cars

no a/f chart FTL
Old 09-15-2010, 07:02 PM
EFI Tuner and Board Sponsor

Actually, the wideband fell out which caused it to read run lean so I aborted immediately. It may have made 350 but I doubt it, that's the point where power tapers off.
ECU chipping services & one stop dyno tuning for: SCT, DiabloSport, HP Tuners, Tweecer, Big Stuff, Map-ECU,TurboEdit, C.A.T.S, Megasquirt, Microtech, Crome Gold, S300, K-Pro, Flashpro, AEM EMS, AEM F/IC, Haltech, Motec, PowerFC L & D-Jetro, Nistune, Utec, Cobb AccessPORT, DSM Link, CPE Standback, SAFC, VAFC, NEO

Hubert Murias
Hubert@tdcauto.com

Last edited by Spent; 09-15-2010 at 07:05 PM.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:17 PM
L-TOWN BEAST

Good gains on the bolt ons, people usually rate bolt ons really high and this dyno shows realistic results.

99 SS Camaro / White / 232/236 Cam / ported 243's / Ls6 intake / Pacesetter Long tubes w/Hooker Aerochamber Catback / Performabuilt Stage 2 Tranny w/ 3600 Fuddle Stall / 3:42 Gears / Wifey's Car
Old 09-15-2010, 07:41 PM
Banned to oblivion!

378.7 WHP
355 WTQ - My Stock 03' FRC Z06 with K&N drop in filter, NGKTR55 plugs/wires + zip tie mod(thanks for the heads up Gary) and and a mildly ported throttle body by me and my goldfish.

340WHP isn't healthy for a stock 04 Z06, this is of course assuming that the first runfile is a baseline.. They generally make with a robust motor in between low/high 350's to low/mid and in some cases high 360's stock. I've seen stock Corvettes on LS-1 Tech making close to 400whp with my mods and a tune. This particular car is making slightly more power than a bolt-on LS1. All of this is of course biased in a sense that weather conditions are a dependency no matter how insignificant.

Here's a dyno chart for another stock C5 Z06 with almost 100,000 miles and the thread respectively...

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/f4/st...umbers-108585/

Some(SOME) of the stock Corvette numbers threads online with individuals gloating about a lot of power are usually controversial, however, the suspect of which being numbers that have not been corrected.(I could be wrong, I'm no Dyno expert by any means)

Also, here's a detailed explanation on how to do the zip-tie mod just in case you would like to try it in the future.. This modification if done correctly could yield a 14WHP gain.

http://www.mediafire.com/?1v1w15mwxqu

-Stock 2004 Corvette Z06/Manual 6-Speed/95,xxx miles-

This could mean one or more of a few things:
He beats the trash out of his car..
He hasn't maintained the vehicle properly..
The dyno isn't calibrated correctly..

Another thing you could do is open the hood and read the casting number on the head/s.. I believe an LS6 head should read 243. The possibility of it having a replaced engine is small but it's still conceivable.

Or

The tune need's to be massaged.

Possible cost effective solution:
Some of the members on this board are pretty good tuners, ask around!

Lastly:

Does this guy wanna race?

Also, you guys sold me some shitty axles for my Honda, I want my money back.

-Good luck!

Last edited by 402SuperSport; 09-15-2010 at 10:34 PM.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:01 PM
Auto Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spent View Post
Actually, the wideband fell out which caused it to read run lean so I aborted immediately. It may have made 350 but I doubt it, that's the point where power tapers off.
350 sounds about right......my 35k mile 03 Z made 349 bone stock.

1988 Formula 350WS6, 1 owner, numbers matching 383 stroker, forged crank/pistons, Brodix aluminum heads, ACCEL 1000cfm Super Ram TPI intake, Moser 373 12 bolt, Tremec M6, AIR Ride, Boze BOOST wheels
Old 09-15-2010, 10:54 PM
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 402SuperSport View Post
This could mean one or more of a few things:

The dyno isn't calibrated correctly..
The dyno is a DynoJet. They don't get calibrations. Our dyno has been known to read lower than other regional dynos. What should be noticed here is not final numbers, but the gain from the baseline pull to the finished product.

From the DynoJet website:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynoJet View Post
The unit is a durable, factory calibrated dynamometer that requires little maintenance and no calibration. It can be installed easily below or above the ground and our quick vehicle mounting system enables front and rear wheel drive vehicles to be set up and tested in less than 5 minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 402SuperSport View Post
Also, you guys sold me some shitty axles for my Honda, I want my money back.
When was that? If we sold any axles that were not up to par, shoot me a PM, and we'll work something out.

Top Dead Center
16A Dudley Drive
Roebuck, SC